Wednesday, May 28, 2008

"Money can't buy happiness

but it's a damn good down payment."

My bad to all, I was out of town for a bit and with Memorial Day and everything it's been hectic.

Someone (thanks Chong) sent me this article about David Falk a little bit ago and I never got around to talking about it. David Falk matters to some because he was THE Michael Jordan's agent. An interesting point about Falk's interview with CNBC is, at the end, Falk says,

"... we're dealing in a world where agents are splitting fees with AAU coaches all the time. And it's getting worse. I wanted to meet a college player who I really enjoyed watching this year. So I asked a friend of mine, who is a very powerful man in the game, to introduce me to him. And he said, 'I'd like to help but I can't.' And when I asked why. He said, 'You are three years and $500,000 short.'"

I thought this was especially interesting because all the pub this OJ Mayo "scandal" has received lately. Basically OJ is a basketball phenom who has been heavily recruited since about 7th grade and now he allegedly took gifts or money from an agent/agency. This is funny to me because it really showcases the ignorance of the American public. Really? IF this happened, is it really the first? Who do you think is giving high school/college athletes? Powerhouse agents and boosters. The situation can't be fixed because some of these people are supporting the very schools themselves. (Paul, I meant why this Mayo story specifically, is getting more pub than countless others before him with similar talent levels.)

Please do not pretend like this is a big issue because if it were, there would've been an attempt to "fix" it. And since there hasn't been and won't be an attempt, let's just move on and focus on other things.
I typically don't like Stephen A. Smith (A-Mart's impressions are a different story) , but this article was decent.


I'll update with some pictures of my vacay and some Memorial Day details. For those of you that have it, enjoy Summer break. For my corporate folks, enjoy this hot-ass Arizona weather. I need a Summer out-of-town spot like I need lower gas prices.

4 comments:

Paul S. Lee said...

controversy always makes for good conversation through any medium. For example...Former USC Trojan...OJ Mayo...money...scandal...wrong...agents...Makes an interesting story that sells. thats why there is all that pub on the kid.

BS said...

It's just typical USC bullshit. Plenty of collegiate programs launch their own investigation and acknowledge illegal activities in their own program. OU dismissing Rhett Bomar for example, was the right thing for Bob Stoops to do. Pete Carroll, Tim Floyd and Co. better get their shit together. I could go on, but I'm rambling and sleepy.

Oh yeah, Stephen A. Smith sucks.

Joe said...

Haha, I thought of the Bomar thing when I blogged. But it is kind of different, it'd be more comparable if it was someone decent like Sam Bradford, not POS Bomar.

Yes, Stephen A. Smith officially sucks and I think I've agreed with him a whole 2 times. They're just giving out TV shows nowadays.

kanyon feng said...

Too bad Johnnie Cockran ain't around for this one.